Rolling your own Mail stamp icon is fun. Hawk Wings has covered it before. But now there is a much better Photoshop template that makes the whole process even easier.
The template was created by chekkz and is hosted on her DeviantART page where you can download it.
Then it’s simple as shooting fish in a barrel.
- Open the PSD file in Photoshop.
- Everything can be edited, including the text around the postmark. To edit the text, select the text layer in the Inspector, select the text tool on the left, and place the cursor in the existing text. Edit away. The default icon carries the text” Hello from Cupertino CA”.
- Images in Mail Stamp icons are rotated 10 degrees counterclockwise (if you are wondering). The rotated image is 368 x 412 pixels in size.
- When you have edited the text and dropped in your image, save it off as a PNG file.
- Then you need one of the many free utilities that convert PNG files into ICNS format. I use img2icns by Shiny Frog. Drop the PNG file into its interface.
- You’re done.
The possibilities are endless. You can make something scary that will grab your attention first thing in the morning:
Something sleek and professional might be what you need, a reminder of who is paying you to deal with all these emails:
Or something altogether more soft and cuddly like, say, a snow leopard:
Replacing the default icon is easy. Just follow the steps in a previous Hawk Wings post.
Then you have a nice icon in the Dock which is all yours:
Of course, if you can’t be bothered, you can always pick one from the 508+ icons I’ve collected on the Hawk Wings Mail stamp icons page which is about to expand further when I add the ones that have appeared in the last year.
If your creations are top notch, drop me an email and I’ll put them up on Hawk Wings for everyone to use and enjoy.
Hmmm…. Maybe we should have a competition, and try to get celebrity judges like Merlin Mann, John Gruber and that crowd. Now the blogging cogs are turning again!
Tags: Apple Mail, apple mail tips, Borka Kegslayer, hacks, icons, mail.app, Photoshop, stamp icons