Mac OS X Tips UK has written up a list of tips to wring the most out of the menubar helper for Google services like Gmail and Google Calendar.
It shows you how to set the default number of messages displayed using the hidden Defaults Editor.
You can also set the Notifier to display only email matching a particular label in the same way.
Of course, the Defaults Editor just a fancy GUI to Notifier’s preferences file — com.google.GmailNotifier — stored in your ~/Library/Preferences folder, which you can edit directly with Proprty List Editor or any text editor.
The list also mentions Gmail+Growl , a plugin for Google Notifier that passes notification of new messages to the Growl alert system .
- Tweaking Gmail Notifier for extra features
- Google Notifier for Mac: Gmail, Gcal alerts
- Gmail+Growl: Growl-powered Gmail alerts
- Gmail Notifier, Gmail+Growl updated
- Google Reader Notifier updated: More features, fewer bugs
Tags: Apple Mail Tips, calendar, email, GMAIL, Google, menubar, not apple mail, not mail.app, notification