Hotmail users with Intel Macs face problems using Mail.app to read their emails.
As a result it won’t run as a plugin in Mail.app on Intel Macs. He provides instructions on forcing Mail to run under Rosetta, which produces quite a performance hit but allows you to use HTTPMail.
For Cris, running Mail under Rosetta is unbearable. He is going to use the web interface to get his email while he moves over to Gmail.
UPDATE: As Gavin suggests in the comments on another post, there is an easy work-around for Hotmail users:
- Set up a Fastmail account (it’s free and it’s excellent. I have a (paid) account there, so I know how good it is). Of course, any good email service that offers polling of web-based mail will do the trick.
- Set the Fastmail account to poll your Hotmail account and to download the messages into your IMAP account at Fastmail.
- Collect your Fastmail messages in Mail.app.
- Running non-universal plugins on an Intel Mac
- httpmail 1.49: Hotmail plugin finally universal
- Thunderbird 188.8.131.52 released: Mac issues, bugs
- MacFreePOPs 2.0: Webmail plugin gets auto-updates, goes almost universal
- The Death of Hotmail for Mail.app users and a new solution
Tags: Apple Mail, fastmail, GMAIL, hotmail, mail.app, plugins, universal, web-based email