You cannot access a Gmail account directly over IMAP as you can with POP, but you can—as Mike describes—set your Gmail account up to auto-forward mail into a dedicated IMAP account.
As a result, he says:
Since Gmailâ€™s auto-forwarding feature leaves headers for the most part intact, I can now receive fully synched, fully intact copies of all my Gmail messages to any computer I happen to be on.
The best of both worlds.
- Gmail, mail.app and IMAP, Part II
- Keeping Mail.app, Gmail and mobile phone mail in sync
- PHP script to shoehorn IMAP emails into Gmail
- Msgpush.com: Better push email for the iPhone?
- Turning your back on Gmail
Tags: Apple Mail, auto-forwarding, email, GMAIL, imap, mail.app, POP