After reading an earlier post on tracking emails with Google Maps, John Maisey contacted me about an applescript he has written that does the same thing.
Highlight an email in Mail.app and run the script. It then uses GeoTool to map the originating server from which the email was sent.
This is not the computer on which the email was sent, but the first mail server it passed through on its way to you.
For example, I received an email from one of my students this afternoon. Running the script on her email shows me where her email started its journey at a Gmail server in Mountain View, California:
Hours of fun for the idle and curious!
- Mail2iCal 1.5: Events, to-dos by AppleScript
- AppleScript to file Mail.app messages
- Automatic backups to Gmail using AppleScript
- PHP script to shoehorn IMAP emails into Gmail
- AppleScript to report .Mac spam
Tags: applescript, email, geotools, server location