US mobile phone operator Cingular Wireless has lodged a application to patent emoticons on
According to Cellular News :
The USA based mobile operator,
Cingular Wirelesshas managed to get a patenton the concept of using emoticonon mobile phones. While the aim of the patent is to enable the displaying of MSN style graphics on handsets, they also managed to patent the delivery of text based emoticon – so presumably sending :) via an SMS– if selected via a dedicated or softkey, would be a breach of the patent in future.
There is a division of opinion on news sites about whether the application is pending or has been granted.
I presume sending emoticons in
- Hands- and eye-free email for busy drivers
- Replace Leopard Address Book’s missing SMS feature
- Sync iCal and Address Book with Yahoo! Go
- GCalSync: Sync your cell/mobile with GCal
- Restore Leopard Address Book’s power to dial and text
Tags: cell phones, Cingular Wireless, email, emoticon, mobile phones, patent, SMS