Sometime in October 1971 a network engineer called Ray Tomlinson hit upon the “@ sign” as a core addressing concept and used it to send the first “modern” email.
- An article on the BBC News website carries an interview with the “Father of email” from the 30th anniversary in 2001.
- Ray Tomlinson gives his own version of story.
- Paul Buchheit uses the anniversary as an opportunity to talk up Gmail.
- The “@ sign” has enjoyed a curious and interesting history as it spread to cultures that never used it before the invention of email.
- Yahoo!, Gmail, Microsoft email chiefs sit down to dinner
- The history of email
- Names for the @ sign
- Gmail chats up
- Google Desktop for Mac: Gmail, MailTags
No tags for this post.